For those who don't want to settle for a cheap, low-budget phone but can't afford a high-end one, the mid-range market comes to the rescue. The lower mid-segment smartphones market is getting stronger by the day. Manufacturers have been trying their best to put a great deal into smartphones under Rs 15,000. Moreover, frequent price drops also leave us with some good options in this price bracket. We have listed five such really cool smartphones under Rs 15,000.
Micromax Canvas HD – Rs 14,500
This smartphone has been hitting headlines from the time it made its presence felt, be it as a competitor to Samsung’s Grand, as a value for money device or its delayed shipments. It has emerged as one of the most powerful smartphones under the Rs 15,000 price bracket. The Canvas HD has a powerful specification sheet, which actually translates well into real world performance. To read the complete review of the Micromax Canvas HD, click here. The smartphone is powered by a quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 that clocks at 1.2GHz. It runs on Android 4.1.2, but apparently, Android 4.2 upgrade is on the way.
Value for money and a great option under Rs 15,000...only if you find one...
A quick look at some specs of the Micromax Canvas HD:
- 5-inch IPS LCD with a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels
- Dual-SIM, 3G, Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi hotspot
- GPS with GLONASS and A-GPS
- Bluetooth with A2DP
- 8 megapixel rear camera with LED flash with night mode and 4X zoom, VGA front camera
- 4GB of internal storage, support for microSD card up to 32GB
WickedLeak Wammy Titan II – Rs 13,990
The Wammy Titan II is a great option for a quad-core Android-based smartphone with an IPS display. The Titan II performs almost similar to the Passion Y HD but is a tad heavier (owing to the larger display and battery capacity) and considerably cheaper. The Titan II is a quad-core smartphone powered by 1.2GHz MediaTek’s MTK 6589 processor. It is fuelled by Android 4.1 Jelly Bean while the company also states that it is upgradeable to Android 4.2.
An upgrade over the original Titan
Here are the key features of the WickedLeak Wammy Titan II:
- 5.3-inch IPS display with a resolution of 960 x 540 pixels
- 3G, EDGE, Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Hotspot
- GPS with A-GPS
- 12 megapixel camera, 5 megapixel front-facing camera
- 4GB internal memory expandable up to 32GB via microSD
Sony Xperia go – Rs 14,490
With features like extremely lightweight, thin form factor, crisp display, fast UI, waterproof and dustproof shell, and more, the Sony Xperia go is a great companion for those who frequently travel or indulge in outdoor activities like trekking, mountaineering and so on. Overall, it is a well-connected and rugged device on a low budget. To know how it fares, read our complete review of the Xperia go. Moreover, Sony has made it even more alluring with a price drop that places it in the sub-Rs 15,000 price bracket.
An IP67 Certified rugged all-weather Android smartphone
Here are some of the highlights of the smartphone:
- 3.5-inch capacity touchscreen display with a 480 x 320 pixel resolution
- 3G, EDGE/GPRS and Wi-Fi capabilities for net access
- GPS with A-GPS support for Google Maps
- Bluetooth with A2DP and USB 2.0 (Micro)
- 5MP camera with LED flash and secondary camera up front
- FM radio
- 8GB internal + microSD card support for up to 32GB more memory
Lumia 620 – Rs 14,199
Nokia entered the lower mid-range smartphone segment with the Lumia 620 in an attempt to bounce back into the rat race for a good slice of market share. The smartphone comes across as a very solid offering from Nokia and the company has now nailed the pricing by placing it in the under-Rs 15,000 price bracket. The Windows-powered device is fuelled by a 1GHz Qualcomm Krait dual-core processor and runs on Windows Phone 8 operating system. A great choice for a Nokia loyalist, or if Android doesn't really float your boat.
Nokia's solid budget Windows Phone
Here are the key specs of the Nokia Lumia 620:
- 3.8-inch TFT LCD ClearBlack WVGA display
- HSPA, GPRS/EDGE
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, dual-band
- Bluetooth 3.0 with A2DP, EDR
- GPS with A-GPS support and GLONASS
- 5 megapixel camera with LED flash, VGA front-facing camera
- 8GB internal storage, expandable up to 64GB
Wammy Passion Y HD – Rs 15,499
Though the Passion Y HD is slightly above the Rs 15,000 mark, we couldn't keep it off the list. Sporting a 720p display, it is powered by 1.2GHz Cortex A7 quad-core processor and Android 4.2 out of the box. It is a good option as a high-powered, low-budget smartphone, especially if you want a device with heavy duty battery and an additional one thrown in for free. Read our review to know more.
A high-powered, budget smartphone
Some of the highlighted specifications of the WickedLeak Wammy Passion Y HD are:
- 5-inch HD IPS display with 1280 x 720 pixel resolution
- Dual-SIM, GSM/WCDMA, HSPA, EDGE/GPRS
- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n with Wi-Fi hotspot
- Bluetooth with A2DP
- GPS with A-GPS support
- 8 megapixel primary camera with LED flash and 4X zoom, 2 megapixel front-facing camera
- 4GB internal memory, expandable up to 32GB
We think these are really good options if you are looking for a high-powered smartphone for under Rs 15,000. Do share your views on this in the comments section below.