NEWS / IOS
iPhone 4 to not get FaceTime over 3G in iOS 6 update
When Apple announced iOS 6, most iOS fans using devices dating back to 2009 were excited, since the upcoming operating system will be accessible on iPhone 3GS as well. Most features are eagerly anticipated, leaving one thinking that even their iPhone 3GS has now been future-proofed, till at least a year more. However, all the hype surrounding the keynote has ended, leaving one assuming that all the announced devices will receive the update. The fine print that has surfaced now, shows which iOS devices will actually get the entire list of features.The fact that all devices will not get all the features of iOS 6 will be one factor that will be conspicuous by its absence and one would need to have the current generation iPhone to avail of all the features. Else, they will have to stay content with the limitations.
All features unavailable
A report by 9to5Mac has listed the limitations for specific features:
- Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2, or later. Cellular data charges may apply.
- Siri will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.
- Shared Photo Streams requires iOS 6 on iPhone 4 or later or iPad 2 or later, or a Mac computer with OS X Mountain Lion. An up-to-date browser is required for accessing shared photo streams on the web.
- FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4S or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability. Carrier data charges may apply. FaceTime is not available in all countries.
- VIP list and VIP and Flagged smart mailboxes will be available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.
- Offline Reading List will be available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.
- Made for iPhone hearing aids require iPhone 4S.
- Find My Friends and Find My iPhone enable you to locate iOS devices only when they are on and connected to a registered Wi-Fi network or have an active data plan. Not available in all areas.
Let us know your thoughts on Apple not making all the features available on all the devices in the comments section below.
, iOS 6 features
, iOS 6 not supported
, iOS 6 devices not supported
, iOS 6 logo
, iOS 6 iPhone 4
, iOS 6 iPad 2
, iOS 6 new iPad
, iOS 6 iPad 2