Just after the launch of the Avengers Initiative game by Marvel Studios for iOS and Android devices, Marvel is looking to promote the game some more with a different game, for free. According to UnleashThePhone, the game, titled Thor: Son of Asgard, is a free game available for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.
While the Avengers Initiative game deals with Hulk’s story, Thor: Son of Asgard is based on the movie of the same name. The game plays like a simple beat ‘em up with an on-screen joystick for movement and buttons for attacks, blocks and special abilities. Here is the official description of the game: “Play as the Mighty Thor and defend Odin’s Kingdom of Asgard from her enemies! Son of Asgard features stunning HD graphics optimized for Retina Displays that bring Asgard and Thor to life. Step into the role of Thor in this epic 3D action game. Asgard is under siege from forces both inside and outside its walls. Wield the great hammer Mjolnir as you battle rampaging foes to protect the kingdom and the nine worlds.”
Thor: Son of Asgard is now available for free
Here are some of the major features of the game according to its official page:
- Allies and enemies abound: Famed Thor allies such as Sif and the Warriors Three join Thor as he faces fearsome enemies such as Dark Elves, Trolls, Ulik and the Midgard Serpent.
- Awesome powers: Heroic action awaits as you channel the power of lightning to unleash devastating magical attacks against your enemies. Throw Mjolnir for long range strikes.
- Plunge through portals: Navigate the environments of Jotunheim, Alfeim, and Asgard to solve the mystery of the invasion and rescue Sif from her captors.
The Avengers Initiative was launched yesterday, where you play as the Hulk and beat up some of the big green guy’s famous enemies. Here is the story of the game according to its official website: “In the wake of The Pulse, The Vault, a top secret S.H.I.E.L.D. facility in the Rocky Mountains, has busted open, releasing all of the super powered criminals and monsters imprisoned there. Aboard the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier, Nick Fury recruits a reluctant Hulk to round up all the monsters he can while S.H.I.E.L.D. can assemble the rest of the Avengers to figure out who opened the doors to The Vault, and why.”
Here are some of the features of the game as put forth by Marvel:
- Visceral Combat: Experience raw, super powered combat with blazingly responsive swipe, attack, and combo controls in a complete gesture based action game.
- Stunning HD Visuals: Battle huge enemies with amazing special effects, and incredible set pieces.
- Unique customisation: Fully customise the Hulk to play the way you want to play. Acquire exclusive costumes, unlock incredible super powered abilities, discover explosive augmentations, and upgrade all of the Hulk's combat stats.
- Episodic content: Marvel's cross over mobile gaming event continues with updates, scheduled events, and anticipated character reveals.
- Marvel XP: Now featured in Avengers Initiative and newly optimised for touch screen devices, Marvel XP is a free live service that tracks your progress, rewards your achievements and helps you experience Marvel on a whole new level across multiple games, including Avengers Alliance on Facebook. Registering for the service will let you unlock achievement badges, character dossiers, and other bonus content exclusive to the Marvel XP community.
Thor: Son of Asgard is available for iOS devices on the Apple App Store.