Updated 18 May, 2013, 11:22 am IST
Pinterest wants to spread around the world
| by Padmini Harchandrai |
Pinterest has been gaining a fair amount of traction lately, virtually doubling the number of daily visits in the last three months. However, the social network/organization service wants to spread its arms and embrace more parts of the world. For lack of a better word, they want to get more 'pinternational'. The social network wrote in a blog post that they're looking to translate Pinterest into other languages. At first, these languages will include French, German, Japanese, Portuguese and Spanish. They're currently looking for translators to help them get Pinterest for the languages mentioned (if you can help out, go to this link and fill in your contact information). Other languages that Pinterest is looking to get into are: Dutch, Greek, Italian, Korean, Malay, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Swedish, and Turkish.
Wants to speak in more languages
Pinterest says, "At Pinterest, we’ve always wanted to make it easy for people all over the world to organize and share all the beautiful things they find on the web. We want to take another step towards making this vision a reality by translating Pinterest into other languages." According to Mashable, Pinterest is the third most popular social network in the United States right now. While Pinterest is looking for variety in nationalities, it's simultaneously gaining interest from the male population as well. Pinterest has been reputed as being primarily a ladies' social network, but it seems that more men might be getting onboard (pun intended). In January, 20 percent of Pinterest users were men, which stands women at 80 percent. However, in March, the number of men on Pinterest increased to 28 percent, leaving women at 72 percent.
Pinterest in English has, of course, been made available in India and there is a fair Indian presence on the social network. It's hard to predict when Pinterest will come in Hindi and whether the effort put in to translating into Hindi will pay off. Looking at other social networks, Facebook mobile is available in 8 Indian languages (the Facebook for Every Phone app). Twitter also added Hindi support last year, in celebration of Hindi Divas. Following suit, Pinterest may have a good chance of getting to Hindi as well, we'll just have to wait and watch.
16 May, 2013, 05:03 PM
15 May, 2013, 11:27 PM
15 May, 2013, 01:40 PM
If you like collecting some really cool and bizarre stuff, or you are...
A decade ago Internet connectivity may have been considered a luxury, but...
Sat May 18, 11:29:45
Sat May 18, 11:18:24
Sat May 18, 10:38:02